Sabarimala Ayyappa shrine opens on Friday
- N-Korea says rocket launch a success, Kwangmyong 4 placed into orbit
- Kerala solar scam: Saritha Nair, the woman at the centre of the scandal
- Beef license for foreigners? Haryana govt may soon issue special permits
- As US lifts sanctions, Iran wants India to pay oil dues in euros
- Mumbai set to get India’s first international arbitration centre
The famous Lord Ayyappa temple at Sabrimala, worshipped by millions of devotees every year, will open for the two-month 'Mandala-Makaravilakku' festival Friday.
Festival poojas would start from November 16, the first day of the 'Vrichikam' month of the Malayalam calendar, after the new head priest of the temple P N Narayanan Namboothri opens the sanctum sanctorum early in the morning.
The most important temple ritual the 'ghee abhishekam' would start from that day.
The 42-day mandala festival would come to end on December 26 with the Mandala pooja. After a three-day recess, the temple would reopen on December 30 for Makaravilakku festival.
The 'Makaravilakku' falls on January 14.
- We have turned our back to the intense food and drinking water distress
- Strategies anchored in incubators fail to foster entrepreneurship
- Existing regime of film censorship is unconstitutional
- Section 377: A right to love
- PM Oli has been lucky, but his political survival looks uncertain
- Across the aisle- MGNREGA: Making a meal of words