Sabarkantha SP office offers shelter, food to devotees
- After arrest, Jitender Singh Tomar resigns as Delhi Law Minister
- Army begins operation near Myanmar border, kills militants involved in Manipur ambush
- Joint CP Mukesh Kumar Meena hits back, says he took charge at ACB under L-G's orders
- Congress president Sonia Gandhi accuses PM Modi of 'U-turns, falsehoods'
- UP minister booked for burning journalist to death over Facebook post
In a first for Gujarat Police, the Sabarkantha police started food and shelter facilities for devotees travelling on foot to Bhadarva Poonam Fair at Ambaji temple from Friday.
The temple hosts a grand fair and celebration on the full moon day of Bhadarva month that starts on September 19.
The Sabarkantha Police set up mandaps and water coolers at the SP's office at Himmatnagar for devotees to rest. The programme was inaugurated by the district SP Chirag Koradia, in presence of the chief guest — former minister of state home Praful Patel.
The inauguration started with the deity's aarti performed at the SP office by priests and police officers.
SP Chirag Koradia said, "The temporary shelter, food and water facilities have been set up for lakhs of devotees who walk to Ambaji temple for the fair. This time, we thought that apart from providing protection and security on roads, we should also provide food and shelter to the devotees who come from distant villages of Gujarat on foot. The SP's office and his staff will look after the devotees who take shelter and also provide medical aide in emergencies."