Sabarkantha SP office offers shelter, food to devotees
- Arvind Kejriwal released after brief detention in Gujarat over no permission for road show
- RJD, Congress agree on seat-sharing deal for Bihar
- Supreme Court takes suo motu cognisance of ink attack on Subrata Roy
- Rahul slams BJP, says party wants to vest power in one person
- Sheila Dikshit appointed Kerala Governor; Congress-RJD pact likely today
In a first for Gujarat Police, the Sabarkantha police started food and shelter facilities for devotees travelling on foot to Bhadarva Poonam Fair at Ambaji temple from Friday.
The temple hosts a grand fair and celebration on the full moon day of Bhadarva month that starts on September 19.
The Sabarkantha Police set up mandaps and water coolers at the SP's office at Himmatnagar for devotees to rest. The programme was inaugurated by the district SP Chirag Koradia, in presence of the chief guest — former minister of state home Praful Patel.
The inauguration started with the deity's aarti performed at the SP office by priests and police officers.
SP Chirag Koradia said, "The temporary shelter, food and water facilities have been set up for lakhs of devotees who walk to Ambaji temple for the fair. This time, we thought that apart from providing protection and security on roads, we should also provide food and shelter to the devotees who come from distant villages of Gujarat on foot. The SP's office and his staff will look after the devotees who take shelter and also provide medical aide in emergencies."