Sabarmati jail inmate dies in civil hospital, relatives blame authorities
- Target Uttar Pradesh: Narendra Modi goes to Varanasi, Rajnath Singh heads to Lucknow
- TRS rules out alliance with Congress in Lok Sabha, Assembly polls
- AAP releases sixth list; Tribal activist Soni Sori and Shazia Ilmi get tickets
- The trophy state: Behind Mizoram's clean sweep lies an extraordinary league
- Court imposes fine of Rs 2,500 each on Arvind Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia
When news spread of the death of a Sabarmati Central Jail inmate, who was to get parole in two days' time, his relatives created quite a ruckus at the Civil Hospital, blaming the authorities for it.
The relatives of Abdul Malik (31), who reportedly died of heart attack, claimed that authorities did not inform them immediately after the death.
According to Mehraj, a relative of the prisoner, three months ago a local court sentenced Malik to six months in jail. "At 3 pm, the jail authorities informed us about the death. But he died early in the morning. When he was brought to the hospital, he was already dead," he alleged. But, jail officials gave a different version. They said Malik complained of pain in his chest, after which a jail doctor attended to him. He was then shifted to Civil Hospital, where he died.
Malik was serving time for eloping and marrying a minor, who is also his sister-in-law. His mother-in-law had registered a case against him, stating that after six years of marriage with her elder daughter, Malik eloped with her younger daughter.
ADGP (Prisons) P C Thakur said that as per guidelines applicable for minority prisoners, the state and the national human rights commissions have been informed. The body will be kept for post mortem, which will be conducted by a penal doctor as per the guidelines. ens
- BJP projected to sweep Gujarat, Rajasthan, Karnataka; Congress to get big jolt in Maharashtra
- Editors body slams Arvind Kejriwal for ‘irresponsible’ media remark, says it is a sign of ‘weakness’
- I skiI skipped rally because I was misled: Anna Hazare
- Trouble for Khobragade as govt finds daughters have US, Indian passports