Sabarmati marathon introduces ‘Gujarat category’
- Supreme Court issues notice to Goa Police, agrees to hear Tejpal's bail plea in sexual assault case
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi says poverty is a 'tourist destination' for Rahul
- 78 pc turnout, but few can show ink mark
- Giriraj Singh defiant despite FIR, says he stands by his 'Modi critics must go to Pak' remarks
- RSS appeal to âmajorityâ: Vote or become history
The fourth Sabarmati marathon, scheduled to be held on January 5, will have a new category this time. The "Gujarat category" has been introduced for the first time to encourage local runners to participate in the annual event. The special prize of international trips to Malaysia, Dubai and Thailand, along with cash prizes of Rs 1 lakh and Rs 50,000, are the attractions under the new category.
"This is done for the first time to encourage local people to run and participate in these events. Though the prizes are sponsored by private companies and Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) spends hardly anything on this event, it is certainly a very positive initiative,' said AMC Municipal Commissioner Guruprasad Mohapatra.
The introduction of this category was also required in the wake of many international professional runners dropping out due to visa issues. It is expected that this time the participation of international runners would be less.
"It is true that professional runners from foreign countries faced visa issues. Earlier, a letter from AMC would suffice, but this time they were asked for some authority letter from sports ministry as well. Because of this, there will be no participation from Kenya. However, we are expecting some 100 odd international runners," said Mohapatra.
Chief Minister Narendra Modi will flag off the marathon at 5:45 am from Sabarmati riverfront. Till date, as many as 17,766 registrations under various categories — full marathon (42.195 km), half marathon (21.097 km), dream run (7 km) and physically challenged (5 km) — have been made. The maximum registrations (14,500) have been done under dream run category.
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota