Sachin Tendulkar - A fighter at 16
- Naxal threat has to be quashed with a firm hand, says Pranab, as Maoists kill 16 in Chhattisgarh ambush
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to the west coast
- AAP defends Rs 20,000 per person dinner with Kejriwal, says it was transparent
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
At 16, Sachin Tendulkar batted as if he had been playing Test cricket for 16 years.
2nd Test, Day 1
Faislabad, Nov 23: We had a glimpse into the future of Indian cricket at Faisalabad on Thursday as Sanjay Manjrekar (58) and Sachin Tendulkar (35) put on 99 for the unfinished fifth wicket to take India to 200 for four at close on the opening day of the second Test against Pakistan.
India, asked to bat by Imran Khan, who won the toss, had been reduced to 101 for four by left-arm medium pacers Wasim Akram and Salim Jaffer. On a wicket where the batsmen needed to be extra watchful, most of them fell to some of the oldest tricks in the book.
Tendulkar playing only his second Test has already batted two and a half hours. Just two boundaries marked his effort. For the rest, it was remarkable restraint. He batted as if he had been playing Test cricket for 16 years rather than like one who is just that many years old. It is too early for comparisons but rather than a second (Sunil) Gavaskar or (Gundappa) Viswanath it is clear that a first Tendulkar has arrived.
Khan brought himself on when Tendulkar arrived. But the youngster was untroubled.
For India, here without (Mohinder) Amarnath or (Dilip) Vengsarkar, it was another day of discovery. Manoj Prabhakar at Karachi and now Tendulkar here. Surely, the nucleus of a major team is beginning to form.
4th Test, Day 2
Sialkot, Dec 10: It was a case of each cook adding his own ingredient to the broth as India made 324 in the fourth and final Test against Pakistan on Sunday. Sachin Tendulkar's technically sound batting was matched by Wasim Akram's controlled bowling which fetched him five wickets for 101 runs (though Tendulkar got past only 30).
- Lack of legal power hampers probe into missing Malaysian Airlines jet
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express