Sachin Tendulkar discussed 'future' with Sandeep Patil, to play against Pak: Channel
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats BJP PM candidate Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- BJP complains to EC over St Xavier principal's criticism of Modi's Guj model of development
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi attacks Gandhis, says family going strong for 60 years, time to build a strong nation
It was claimed that Tendulkar, who was woefully out of form in the recent four-match Test series against England in which he averaged a poor 18.66, had a discussion with chief selector Sandeep Patil over his 'future'.
The veteran batsman expressed his intentions to play in the ODI series against Pakistan and England and the selectors were willing to go by his plans, the channel said, quoting an unnamed source for the story.
Tendulkar has not played in too many ODI series since India's World Cup triumph in April last year.
The channel said he wants to play in the ODIs to regain form ahead of the high-profile Test series against Australia in February-March next year.
When contacted, chief selector Patil said his contract did not permit him to talk to the media on selection issues.
The channel talked to former Indian captain Sourav Ganguly on Tendulkar's decision to play in the ODIs.
"I am not suprised with that. It's good for him. If he needs to keep playing at the end of the Australia series, he needs to be in form and ODI are the best way for him to get in-form", Ganguly said.
"If he needs to continue, he needs to play all formats of the game and not have a start-stop career".
On the criticism about Tendulkar's form, Ganguly said "critics don't matter. It's what selectors think and BCCI think. Sachin is too big for everyone. What he has achieved is beyond everybody's reach. He has the ability and the right to call the shots", he said.
"I don't think any selector will ever ask him to retire or drop him. Don't know if its right or wrong. He will decide whichever way he wants to go", Ganguly said.
Ganguly said if Tendulkar has decided to play the Test series against Australia, taking part in the ODIs will help him to get back to form.
"If he has decided to play the Test series against Australia then I think the eight ODIs will help get back the confidence which is required to get runs. If you score runs you go with much better frame of mind into Test matches. If he does well in the one dayers it will help him do well in test matches", he pointed out.
"I think Mahendra Singh Dhoni from his inside knew that he (sachin) would play againstt Australia being in the dressing room, being captain of the side you get to know even if its not spoken or no words are exchanged that this man is going to go on and I think it's not bad.
"It's about runs, performance and not names. He just hopes tendulkar performs as he has done that in 23 years and hope for the best. Performing Sachin Tendulkar is an assest to every team", he added.
The claims were made by 'Headlines TV' in its report.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target against Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'