SAD: Cong politicising Akal Takht honouring kin of Indira’s assassins
- Vote for Supriya Sule or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit Pawar
- Watch video: Baba Ramdev caught on camera discussing money with BJP candidate
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day
- Election Commission lifts ban on BJP leader Amit Shah after he promises to behave
Ruling SAD on Monday accused Congress of trying to politicise the issue of honouring the kin of Indira Gandhi's assassins by the head of Sikh community's highest temporal seat, Akal Takht, on Sunday.
Satwant Singh and Kehar Singh, the two killers of the former Prime Minister, were honoured on their 24th death anniversary amid presence of a local Akali leader.
"First of all, the issue (honouring the kin) does not fall in the domain of SAD or the state government. But let me say that Congress is trying to politicise the issue for their vested interests as has been their habit," SAD leader and party spokesman Daljit Cheema said here.
Reacting to senior State Congress leader Sunil Jakhar's assertion that honouring of the kin may threaten the hard-earned peace in Punjab, Cheema said: "I said it is the habit of Congress people to make issues out of non-issues. There is no threat to Punjab's peace. During SAD-BJP rule, communal harmony has been maintained."
Jathedar Gaini Gurbachan Singh had on Sunday presented a 'siropa' (robe of honour) to Tirlok Singh, father of Satwant Singh, at a function organised by SGPC. The Jathedar also accorded them the status of 'martyrs of faith'.
Ex-jathedar forms new Panthic body
Chandigarh: Former Akal Takht jathedar, Prof Darshan Singh Khalsa, Monday announced the forming of a new Panthic organisation, Guru Granth Da Khalsa Panth. Addressing the media, Darshan Singh also took on the Akal Takht. He said, "Akal Takht is the symbol of Sikh polity based on true justice and all Sikhs should bow their heads before it. However, the political appointments of jathedars have reduced their roles to being a mere puppet in the hands of the Shiromani Gurudwara Parbandhak Committee and are now issuing anti-Gurmat, unjust and self-willed edicts." -ENS
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer