SAD flays UPA govt for not increasing MSP on wheat
- Vote for Supriya Sule or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit Pawar
- Watch video: Baba Ramdev caught on camera discussing money with BJP candidate
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Protests against Kejriwal in Varanasi; Modi's rally stage collapses due to rain
Accusing the Union government of being "anti-farmer", Punjab's ruling Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) on Thursday criticised the Congress-led UPA for not increasing the minimum support price (MSP) of wheat and demanded a complete diversification package.
The party said the decision to not raise MSP has led to unplanned forced diversification, which will adversely affect the already cash strapped and debt ridden peasantry.
"This action of the Union government has exposed the anti-farmer face of the Congress party," party spokesman Daljeet Singh Cheema told reporters here.
"If the government really wants diversification, then it should come out with complete diversification package and a well-planned long-term strategy. And it should desist from taking selfish and unrealistic decisions like this," he added.
The spokesperson said keeping in view the alarming increase in input costs including that of diesel, one expected a proportionate increase in the MSP.
"But it is shocking to know that in spite of the recommendations of the agricultural department, the Union government has decided to freeze it", he said.
He also came down heavily on the explanation given by the Centre that MSP of wheat has not been increased because there are sufficient stocks in the country.
The SAD demanded that government should understand the ground reality and immediately increase the wheat MSP to Rs 1,800 per quintal to save the farmers of the country.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer