Sadiq Jamal case: 'Encounter cop' Tarun Barot arrested
- Sheena Bora murder case: Third accused Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police
- 3 civilians dead, nearly a dozen injured in Pakistan firing in J&K
- Nitish Kumar's Arvind Kejriwal symbolism looks good but unease in allies RJD, Congress
- OROP row: Veterans reject govt offer, boycott 1965 golden jubilee celebrations
- Patidar protest: HC directs CID to investigate custodial death of Patel youth
Gujarat 'encounter cop' Tarun Barot has been arrested in Sadiq Jamal case in Gujarat.
Barot, currently a Deputy Superintendent of Police in Mehsana District was on the radar of CBI for the last six months.
Gujarat Police had claimed Sadiq is a Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) terror suspect who was on a mission to kill Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
A CBI officer probing the Sadiq Jamal encounter case confirmed Barot has been arrested and taken to CBI office in Gandhinagar.
Barot had taken custody of Sadiq from another encounter specialist, Mumbai' Police's Daya Nayak.
Sadiq, a Mumbai gangster, originally from Bhavnagar in Gujarat was killed near Galaxy Cinema at Naroda area of Ahmedabad in January 2003.
This follows in the wake of the CBI arresting Mumbai journalist Ketan Tirodkar in July - was the first arrest in the Sadiq case.
Tirodkar, on questioning, had disclosed to CBI that Barot had brought the deceased to Ahmedabad to be killed.
Barot was a sub-Inspector with the Detection of Crime Branch (DCB) in Ahmedabad in 2003 during the relevant period.