Sadiq Jamal case: 'Encounter cop' Tarun Barot arrested
- Putin calls Turkey's downing of Russian jet 'stab in the back'
- Today, world looks towards India with great faith: PM in Singapore
- Aamir Khan at RNG awards: Here is the complete conversation
- Bomb attack on Tunisia presidential guard bus kills 11
- BJP MLA suspended from Delhi Assembly for abusing AAP legislator Alka Lamba
Gujarat 'encounter cop' Tarun Barot has been arrested in Sadiq Jamal case in Gujarat.
Barot, currently a Deputy Superintendent of Police in Mehsana District was on the radar of CBI for the last six months.
Gujarat Police had claimed Sadiq is a Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) terror suspect who was on a mission to kill Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
A CBI officer probing the Sadiq Jamal encounter case confirmed Barot has been arrested and taken to CBI office in Gandhinagar.
Barot had taken custody of Sadiq from another encounter specialist, Mumbai' Police's Daya Nayak.
Sadiq, a Mumbai gangster, originally from Bhavnagar in Gujarat was killed near Galaxy Cinema at Naroda area of Ahmedabad in January 2003.
This follows in the wake of the CBI arresting Mumbai journalist Ketan Tirodkar in July - was the first arrest in the Sadiq case.
Tirodkar, on questioning, had disclosed to CBI that Barot had brought the deceased to Ahmedabad to be killed.
Barot was a sub-Inspector with the Detection of Crime Branch (DCB) in Ahmedabad in 2003 during the relevant period.
- Newspaper is supposed to expose corruption and injustice wherever it finds it
- For many Bangladeshis, they hint at closure for 1971
- The big question: Proper returns to farmers
- Delhi HC versus DDCA
- Frequent promulgation of ordinances has more to do with managerial ethos
- Indian peacekeeping abroad: Samantha Power shows some deft diplomacy