Saina loses to former world number one Wang Lin in Hong Kong
- Rafale deal is good, but bigger challenges for IAF remain
- Washington mall shooting: Lone gunman kills 4 in Cascade Mall, Burlington
- Uri attack could be reaction to 'atrocities' in Kashmir: Pak PM Nawaz Sharif
- No joint military exercise with Pakistan in PoK, Russia clarifies
Olympic bronze-medallist Saina Nehwal crashed out of the Hong Kong Super Series after suffering a straight-game defeat to former world number one Wang Lin of China in the second round today.
The third-seeded Indian failed to match Wang with her smashes and went down 19-21 15-21 to the current world number 61 Chinese in a 37-minute match.
Saina, who returned to the court after skipping the China Masters last week because of a knee problem, was not in her elements as she had just five smash winners against 10 by the Chinese.
The 2010 World Champion, Wang, who holds a 3-2 record against Saina, brought the Indian close to the net and then used her smashes to good affect.
In the first game, Wang surged to a 4-1 lead but Saina clawed back at 6-6 and held the lead for 10 more points, before the Chinese surpassed her at the last moment.
In the second game, Wang didn't give Saina any chance as she raced to 6-1 first and then held fort, leaving the Indian to do the catch up.
In men's singles, it was a sad end to Parupalli Kashyap's campaign as he retired hurt at 6-11 midway through the first game against Indonesian Tommy Sugiarto. Kashyap had stunned world number 10 Jan Jorgensen of Denmark.
Among other Indians, Ashwini Ponnappa and Pradnya Gadre suffered a 17-21 18-21 defeat to Thailand's Duanganong Aroonkesorn and Kunchala Voravichitchaikul in the women's doubles competition.
- Across the aisle: In search of a Pakistan policy
- Fifth column: War, not terrorism
- Out of my mind: The Chinese way
- Inside track: Keeping him away
- In both India and Pakistan, war and peace are used to make political gains
- PM Modi’s strategy of escalation vis a vis Pak seems like a gamble, but not without calculation.