Saket bar members resolve not to represent rape accused

Lawyers at the Saket district court have decided to "stay away" and not defend the five men accused of torturing and gangraping the 23-year-old paramedic student, who succumbed to injuries on December 29.

The Saket District Court Bar Association passed a resolution asking all lawyers in the city not to represent the accused in the case.

"The Saket Bar Association appeals to all lawyers/members of all bar associations not to represent/appear in the courts on behalf of any of the accused involved in this crime," the resolution notice put up by the association said.

"It has been resolved in the meeting of the Saket court Bar Association executive committee that no lawyer from the Saket Court Bar Association will defend the accused," association president

R P Kasana said.

He said the association took this step because of the severity of the crime. "No lawyer has appeared before the court for these accused so far. The court can appoint a legal aid lawyer to represent the accused as and when required," Kasana said.

Hearings in the case are expected to begin on Thursday at the Saket court complex, where police is expected to formally present a 1,000-page chargesheet against the five men accused in the case.

The sixth accused in the case has claimed to be a juvenile, and a bone ossification test has been conducted to determine his age.

Please read our terms of use before posting comments
TERMS OF USE: The views expressed in comments published on indianexpress.com are those of the comment writer's alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of The Indian Express Group or its staff. Comments are automatically posted live; however, indianexpress.com reserves the right to take it down at any time. We also reserve the right not to publish comments that are abusive, obscene, inflammatory, derogatory or defamatory.