Salman to be tried for culpable homicide
- Siachen avalanche: Lance Naik Hanamanthappa passes away three days after miraculous rescue
- Dr RK Pachauri goes on leave as TERI Chancellor, won't attend March 7 convocation
- Ishrat Jahan's mother on Headley deposition: Ploy by those guilty to salvage their names
- Write-offs a scam, small loans rarely in it, says former RBI Deputy Governor
- David Headley received money from ISI, LeT and Dr Rana
More than 10 years after actor Salman Khan's Toyota Land Cruiser ran over pavement dwellers in Mumbai's Bandra suburb and killed one person, a magistrate court Thursday accepted the Maharashtra government's plea that Khan be tried for 'culpable homicide not amounting to murder' instead of 'causing death by negligence'.
The order is a major setback for Khan as causing death by negligence carries a prison sentence of not more than two years while the enhanced charge could attract a sentence of up to 10 years in jail if he is found guilty. Khan has been asked to appear before the sessions court on March 11.
"There is enough evidence to show that the act was not incidental, and hence the case should be tried under a more serious section," Khan's lawyer Kaushal Thakkar quoted Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vasant Patil's order as saying.