Samajwadi Party sacks Kamal Farooqui as its secretary over Bhatkal remarks
- HSBC Indian list just doubled to 1195 names. Balance: Rs 25420 cr
- Manjhi expelled, Nitish stakes claim to form govt in Bihar
- Hanging of Afzal Guru was 'wrong' & 'badly' handled, says Shashi Tharoor
- Have given it my all, not nervous about result: Kiran Bedi
- Japanese girl allegedly raped by tourist guide in Jaipur
Samajwadi Party on Thursday sacked Kamal Farooqui as its Secretary in the wake of his controversial remarks that Indian Mujahideen co-founder Yasin Bhatkal was arrested as he was a Muslim.
SP General Secretary Ram Gopal Yadav today shot off a letter to Farooqui informing him that party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav has removed him as secretary of the SP National Executive with immediate effect.
Farooqi had said Bhatkal may have been arrested because he was a Muslim.
He had later apologised for his remark stating that his comments were misunderstood.
Farooqui's remarks had kicked up a controversy when he asked whether it is based on the grounds of crime or religion.
Congress and BJP had slammed Farooqi for his comment calling it ridiculous.