Sandalwood stolen from Army quarters, Forest Research Nursery
- Yoga Day celebration at Rajpath sets two Guinness World Records
- Yoga not religious; an antidote to violence, conflict: Swaraj at UN
- Death toll climbs to 97 in Mumbai hooch tragedy, 2 women arrested
- 'Peepli Live' co-director, Mahmood Farooqui arrested on rape charges
- Lalit Modi invoked British royal names for UK travel papers
Four unidentified persons allegedly chopped off and carried away part of a sandalwood tree from the premises of Army quarters on Victoria Road and Forest Research Nursery office near the Empress Garden in Ghorpadi in the early hours of Tuesday.
Ashok Ganpat Thorat (57), a security guard at the office lodged a complaint at the Wanavdi police station. Police said theft took place between 3.30 am and 4.15 am on Tuesday.
According to the complaint, four persons came to the Ghorpadi area in a four-wheeler. They allegedly chopped a four feet-long sandalwood log from the tree at Army quarters. They chopped a three feet sandalwood log from a tree on the premises of Forest Research Nursery office and fled in their four wheeler. Assistant police inspector S B Patil is investigating the case.