Sania Mirza, Cara Black begin 2014 season with tame defeat
- Supreme Court blames Akhilesh govt for 'negligence' in Muzaffarnagar riots, rules out probe by CBI or SIT
- Top Indian Mujahideen operative Tehseen Akhtar sent to police custody till Apr 2
- Battleground Varanasi: Everything you want to know
- Change is inevitable, constant: RSS chief
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Congress manifesto is the voice of Indian people, says Rahul Gandhi
Sania Mirza and Cara Black began their 2014 campaign with a shock first round defeat against wild card pair of Jarmila Gajdosova and Ajlaat Tomljanovic at the WTA Apia International, here today.
The third seeded Indo-Zimbabwean pair suffered a tame 3-6 2-6 defeat in under an hour contest against the Australian-Croatian combination.
Sania and Cara, who ended the 2013 season by winning back-to-back titles in Japan and China, could convert just one of the six break chances they got while dropped their service games twice in each set.
Jarmila and Ajlaat hit four aces to one of their rival and committed one double faults to three of Sania and Cara.
The third seeds won 38 points while the wild card pair 57.
Sania and Cara will now compete at the first Grand Slam, the Australian Open, from Monday.
- Delhi confidential: Seat selection
- Rajnath’s 3-day Lucknow tour begins today
- MP with most criminal cases ages slowly in Jharkhand
- Guru who filed case against Ramdev gets Congress ticket
- Now, Ram Vilas Vedanti threatens to rebel ‘if Rajnath refuses ticket’
- Mamata hits back: ‘Those who don’t know poverty are talking big’