Sania Mirza, Cara Black begin 2014 season with tame defeat
- Raja 'misled' Manmohan Singh on policy matters: CBI to court
- RSS raises Ambedkar vs Mother Teresa row
- From Maldives, road to Islamic State goes via drugs, gangs and jail
- In a first, Indian military contingent to march at Moscow’s Red Square
- Maharashtra by-poll: Shiv Sena set to retain Bandra (E), NCP wins Tasgaon
Sania Mirza and Cara Black began their 2014 campaign with a shock first round defeat against wild card pair of Jarmila Gajdosova and Ajlaat Tomljanovic at the WTA Apia International, here today.
The third seeded Indo-Zimbabwean pair suffered a tame 3-6 2-6 defeat in under an hour contest against the Australian-Croatian combination.
Sania and Cara, who ended the 2013 season by winning back-to-back titles in Japan and China, could convert just one of the six break chances they got while dropped their service games twice in each set.
Jarmila and Ajlaat hit four aces to one of their rival and committed one double faults to three of Sania and Cara.
The third seeds won 38 points while the wild card pair 57.
Sania and Cara will now compete at the first Grand Slam, the Australian Open, from Monday.