Sania Mirza knocked out of French Open singles
- Ashutosh, Shazia Ilmi taken for questioning over clashes with BJP
- I am more qualified for PM post than Narendra Modi: Nitish Kumar
- Doctors in UP call off strike after Allahabad HC's intervention
- Ukraine crisis: Crimea sets referendum on whether to join Russia
- SC adjourns Centreâs plea restraining TN from releasing Rajiv killers till March 26
Indian tennis ace Sania Mirza crashed out of French Open women's singles event after losing in straight sets to Kazakhstan's Galina Voskoboeva in Roland Garros on Tuesday. Sania went down 4-6 6-7 (3) in a contest lasting a little over an hour and a half.
Sania, who has never gone beyond the second round at Roland Garros, had little match practice going into the clay court event.
The Indian's rustiness was quite evident in the six double faults she committed in the very first set. Sania's failure to convert any of the four break points that she earned only added to her problems.
Voskoboeva converted a crucial break in the seventh game to clinch the first set in 46 minutes.
Sania put up a slightly better show in the second set and cut down on her double faults but 14 unforced errors pulled her back.
After losing her serve twice, Sania broke back to take the set into a tie-breaker.
But Voskoboeva, who had lost to Sania in their only past encounter, dominated the proceedings thereafter and clinched the tie-breaker 7-3.
Sania is still in fray in the doubles event where she has teamed up with Taipei's Chia-Jung Chuang. Sania and Chuang, seeded 14th, will open their campaign against Turk-Belgian pair of Ipek Senoglu and Yanina Wickmayer.
- Chavan sweetens deal for slum-dwellers
- ‘Buildings with approved layout plan should be exempted from SC order’
- WR puts brakes on new suburban services
- UP Doctors Protest: SP MLA booked as strike called off
- Raj Thackeray initiates talks with fringe parties
- Ministers, corporators fight over credit for public projects