Sanjay Dutt sentenced to 5 years in jail, gets 4 weeks to surrender
- Sahara pleads SC to release Subrata Roy to borrow money for refunding investors
- Kejriwal finds âbakwasâ in Gujarat, faces protests himself
- PCâs dig at MoD: Learn from sub accidents, âspend wiselyâ
- Donât want Hooda aide, Bellary man in NDA: Sushma Swaraj
- Jat quota after riots hurt Muslim sentiments, says Alvi
In a huge setback to actor Sanjay Dutt, the Supreme Court on Thursday refused to release him on probation for his involvement in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case and sentenced him to five years in jail.
Dutt has already served around 18 months in custody for illegal possession of arms, allegedly from the same consignment of ammunition used in carrying out the massacre that led to killing of 257 persons while leaving more than 700 others injured.
Dutt had been sentenced to six years in jail by the designated TADA court in 2006. He has now been ordered to surrender within four weeks to serve the remaining sentence.
The Supreme Court said the circumstances and nature of the offence was so serious that Sanjay Dutt cannot be released on probation.
The apex court has asked Sanjay Dutt to surrender within four weeks.
While delivering its verdict, the apex court said that the minimum sentence under the Arms Act is five years and that it cannot go under this under any circumstance.
The actor, who was in Mumbai at the time of the verdict, will now have to serve three and half years in jail.
"Sanjay Dutt is a strong man and will fight for himself," said his lawyer Satish Maneshinde.
"I expected mercy but that did not happen," his lawyer further added.
"He will have to serve another three-and-a-half year sentence. We had prepared him for the same," Maneshinde told reporters.
"We will wait for a copy of the Supreme Court judgement and then decide the further course of action," he said. "He is a strong man and will fight back."