Santoshpur school gherao replicated across state
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Polling stops in Pune booth due to faulty EVMs
- âWonât be vindictive... will ask Supreme Court to clear MP, MLA cases in a yearâ
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- Plea to vote for âsecular partyâ splits Bollywood
- âWe gave instant justice, todayâs youth canât stand up for their mothersâ
Bolstered by the gherao of teachers by students of a girls' school in Santoshpur demanding that they be allowed to sit in the Board exam despite having failied the internal school exam has triggered a chain of similar incidents in schools across the state.
Students of Lalgola Sekhalipur High School in Murshidabad on Wednesday gheraoed teachers after they failed in the qualifying test for Madhyamik and Higher Secondary exams. Md Shahin Sharfi, headmaster of the school said, "60 students along with their parents locked the main gate of the school and demonstrated outside. They had brought newspaper cutting of the Santoshpur incident and demanded that they should be allowed to sit for the Board exam."
He remained firm on his decision not to hold re-test for the students who have failed as agreed by the school in Santoshpur. "There is no question of reconsidering the cases," he said.
A similar incident was reported from Gorabazar Bijoykumar High School where 32 out of the 118 Class X students had failed in the pre-Board exams. "Some students came and locked the main gate. Their only demand was to allow the students to sit for the Board exam. Police intervention was required to disperse the crowd and let the teachers out," said Bhaskar Sengupta, Assistant Headmaster of the school.
Similar incidents of agitation were reported from Kalna, Baranagar and Sinthee.
HS Council, however, refused to admit that the trend had started after the Santoshpur incident. "It is definitely not the case. We still maintain that failed students should not be passed," it said.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18