Sardar Singh, Sandeep Singh command top base price of Rs 15 lakh at HIL
- Jigisha Ghosh murder case: Two convicts get death sentence, life imprisonment for one
- Ban pellet guns in Kashmir, Omar Abdullah-led delegation asks PM Modi
- PM Modi, Afghan President Ghani jointly inaugurate renovated Stor Palace
- AAP doesn't have money to fight election: Kejriwal
- Kicking off UP poll campaign, Mayawati slams BJP-RSS, SP, is soft on Congress
India captain Sardar Singh and ace dragflicker Sandeep Singh will command the highest base-price of Rs 15 lakh each at the upcoming players' auction of the cash-rich Hockey India League (HIL) slated on Sunday.
Sardar and Sandeep, with reserve price of USD 27,800 each are the players with highest base-price among the Indians as well as foreign players.
A list of 246 players issued by HI to be auctioned have been divided into 13 base-price categories ranging from Rs 1.5 lakh to Rs 15 lakh.
A base price of Rs 13.5 lakh has been kept for Australia's captain Jamie Dwyer along with countryman Glenn Turner, Maritz Fuertse and Oliver Korn (Germany), Mohammad Imran and Mahmood Rashid (Pakistan), Pol Amat (Spain).
Netherland's prolific penalty corner specialist Taeke Taekema and Teun De Nooijer are also in the same bracket which is equivalent to USD 25,000.
The base price for ex-captain Shivendra Singh and Gurbaj Singh is Rs 10 lakh, while teams looking to buy Ignace Tirkey and Tushar Khandekar will have to start their bidding from Rs 7.5 lakh.
Custodian Bharat Chettri, who led India at the London Olympics carries a base price tag of Rs 10 lakh (approx) while fellow goalie PR Sreejesh is priced at approximately Rs 7.5 lakh.
Till now only five bids for ownership of the franchises have been received while HIL is planning a six-team league.
The companies owning the five franchises are Delhi (Wave group), Ranchi (Patel- Uniexcel group), Punjab (Jaypee group), Lucknow (Sahara India) and Mumbai (Burman family).
Notable Indian Players under the Hammer
Base Price: Rs 10 lakh (approx): Gurbaj Singh; Shivendra Singh.
Base Price Rs 7.5 lakh (approx): Ignace Tirkey; V Raghunath; Danish Mujtaba; Gurvinder Chandi; SV Sunil; Sarvanjit Singh; Tushar Khadekar.
Base Price Rs 5 lakh (approx): Rupinder Pal Singh, Birendra Lakra, Kothajit Singh, Manpreet Singh, SK Uthappa, Yuvraj Walmiki, Nithin Thimmaiah.
- Farm incomes may not revive despite good monsoon
- India’s new line that Pak will have to pay for cross-border terror was overdue
- Just how did Pakistan become so central to the definition of Indian patriotism?
- Why AAP needs to go back to school
- Next door Nepal: Detente in Kathmandu
- PM's Balochistan policy: Gameplan, gambit or gamble?