Sardar Singh, Sandeep Singh command top base price of Rs 15 lakh at HIL
- Holding talks with Nawaz Sharif important, efforts will be on improving ties: Sushma Swaraj in Islamabad
- Delhi: Odd-even restrictions from 8 am to 8 pm, penalty being discussed
- National Herald case: Sonia, Rahul attack govt, say its political vendetta
- Taliban militants attack airport in Afghan city of Kandahar
- Two militants killed in encounter on Srinagar-Jammu Highway
India captain Sardar Singh and ace dragflicker Sandeep Singh will command the highest base-price of Rs 15 lakh each at the upcoming players' auction of the cash-rich Hockey India League (HIL) slated on Sunday.
Sardar and Sandeep, with reserve price of USD 27,800 each are the players with highest base-price among the Indians as well as foreign players.
A list of 246 players issued by HI to be auctioned have been divided into 13 base-price categories ranging from Rs 1.5 lakh to Rs 15 lakh.
A base price of Rs 13.5 lakh has been kept for Australia's captain Jamie Dwyer along with countryman Glenn Turner, Maritz Fuertse and Oliver Korn (Germany), Mohammad Imran and Mahmood Rashid (Pakistan), Pol Amat (Spain).
Netherland's prolific penalty corner specialist Taeke Taekema and Teun De Nooijer are also in the same bracket which is equivalent to USD 25,000.
The base price for ex-captain Shivendra Singh and Gurbaj Singh is Rs 10 lakh, while teams looking to buy Ignace Tirkey and Tushar Khandekar will have to start their bidding from Rs 7.5 lakh.
Custodian Bharat Chettri, who led India at the London Olympics carries a base price tag of Rs 10 lakh (approx) while fellow goalie PR Sreejesh is priced at approximately Rs 7.5 lakh.
Till now only five bids for ownership of the franchises have been received while HIL is planning a six-team league.
The companies owning the five franchises are Delhi (Wave group), Ranchi (Patel- Uniexcel group), Punjab (Jaypee group), Lucknow (Sahara India) and Mumbai (Burman family).
Notable Indian Players under the Hammer
Base Price: Rs 10 lakh (approx): Gurbaj Singh; Shivendra Singh.
Base Price Rs 7.5 lakh (approx): Ignace Tirkey; V Raghunath; Danish Mujtaba; Gurvinder Chandi; SV Sunil; Sarvanjit Singh; Tushar Khadekar.
Base Price Rs 5 lakh (approx): Rupinder Pal Singh, Birendra Lakra, Kothajit Singh, Manpreet Singh, SK Uthappa, Yuvraj Walmiki, Nithin Thimmaiah.
- GST panel lays out the middle ground for resolving political differences
- Leaders of India, Pak seem to get on better when abroad than at home
- The limits of negativism
- The fundamental duties are essential for an organised polity
- Nepal: Constitutional settlements require statesmanship and generosity, which is missing today
- Several problems with Delhi govt's odd-even formula, decision needs to be rethought