Sari shop staffer held for ‘molesting’ UK national
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
A 28-year-old employee of a sari showroom in Lajpat Nagar market was arrested on Friday for allegedly molesting a United Kingdom national in the trial room of the showroom while the victim was trying on dresses, police said.
The accused, identified as Rajesh Kumar Shah, has been sent to judicial custody.
The incident allegedly took place on October 17, when the victim had come to India to attend a wedding, police said. The woman, police said, had gone to the showroom to get dresses stitched when the accused allegedly molested her. However the victim had to return to the UK on the day of the incident, because of which she did not report the matter to the police.
However, she complained to the senior staff members of the showroom, requesting them to expel the accused, police sources said.
When she returned to India in March, she visited the shop to check if the accused was still working there, police said. "She found that the accused was not present in the showroom. However, in the light of increasing rape and molestation cases, the woman decided to lodge a complaint with the police. She told police that she could not report the matter earlier due to time constraint," a police source said.
In her complaint, the woman said on October 17, she had gone to the showroom to shop. While she was trying on dresses, the accused allegedly followed her into the trial room and touched her inappropriately.
"She said that he to grope her on the pretext of checking the fitting of the dress. Even when she protested and asked him to leave, he allegedly forced himself on her and touched her again," a police official said.
After the complaint was made, a hunt for the accused was launched, police said.
- AAP names Bharti victims, uploads eight videos targeting Africans in Delhi
- Kapil Sibal to contest from Chandni Chowk in 2014, even if Arvind Kejriwal inÂ fray
- Arvind Kejriwal likely to pass Jan Lokpal Bill in February, says the fight for new independence hasÂ begun
- Movie review: â€˜Jai hoâ€™ | The Indian Express