Sarpanch, husband booked for murder in Amritsar village
- Aurangabad arms haul case: MCOCA court convicts 12 including Abu Jundal
- Rajnath Singh to visit Pakistan in August, attend Saarc meet
- Indigo flight makes emergency landing in Mumbai after passenger creates ruckus
- Assam floods: Sonowal directs ministers to visit constituencies as situation worsens
- Bhagwant Mann: Didn't breach security, even TV channels broadcast from Parliament
Sitting Akali Sarpanch of Manjh village, Surjeet Kaur, and her husband Baldev Singh — a former sarpanch of the same village — were among the four persons booked on Wednesday for the murder of one Ranjit Kaur.
Parkash Singh, also a resident of Manjh village, had shot dead his wife Ranjit Kaur by pumping five bullets into her body on Wednesday.
"Parkash Singh was involved in a domestic violence and divorce case with Ranjit Kaur. The victim was on her way to an Ajnala court in connection to a hearing when the accused shot her dead," Lopoke SHO Yadwinder Singh said.
The victim was a resident of Bhittewadh village, Amritsar (Rural) SSP Preetpaul Singh said.
A case of murder has been registered against Parkash Singh, Surjeet Kaur, Baldev Singh and two others.
Ranjit Kaur was on her way to the court with her five-year old son.
- Irom Sharmila calling off her fast against the AFSPA reflects the state’s failure to engage
- Strengthen Centre-state relations by giving the Inter-State Council teeth
- The Patel agitation and Dalit unrest threaten BJP’s dominance in Gujarat
- The CAMPA Bill: Whose forests are these anyway?
- Arundhati Ghose will be remembered for her role in India’s nuclear diplomacy
- Nativist sentiments and a growing tendency towards looking inwards imperil globalisation