Sarpanch shot dead by suspected militants in J-K
- Yoga Day celebration at Rajpath sets two Guinness World Records
- Yoga not religious; an antidote to violence, conflict: Swaraj at UN
- Death toll climbs to 97 in Mumbai hooch tragedy, 2 women arrested
- 'Peepli Live' co-director, Mahmood Farooqui arrested on rape charges
- Lalit Modi invoked British royal names for UK travel papers
Suspected militants today shot dead a sarpanch in Sopore township of Baramulla district in north Kashmir.
Habibullah Mir, who was affiliated with the Congress, was shot in the neck by the unidentified militants at his home in Goripora village, 52 kms from here, at around 12.20 pm, a police spokesman said.
Mir was rushed to a sub-district hospital where he subsequently died, the spokesman said.
This is the first attack on a panchayat member by militants this year.