Sarpanch shot dead, police chief steps in
- India's naval might on full display off Visakhapatnam coast
- Kerala solar scam: Had freedom to enter Chandy’s house anytime, says Saritha Nair
- Australian national suspected to be IS supporter deported from Delhi airport
- At least 39 dead as Gujarat state transport bus plunges into river
- Cops have a case for new juvenile law: boy who ‘killed 2’
With three incidents of firing in a span of one month, there is panic in areas under the Zone III of Pune city police even as the new police commissioner, Gulabrao Pol, has assured action. The latest incident occured late on Saturday, when unidentified persons shot dead Jalinder Suresh Temgire, deputy sarpanch of Jambhe village in Mulshi taluka. Temgire was a member of the NCP.
On Sunday, the police chief told The Indian Express that he would review the situation in Zone III and take up measures to restore law and order.
Temgire had come to Kanpile vasti in his car when the assailants opened fire on him and attacked him with sharp weapons, killing him on the spot. The incident took hours after Pol asked his officers to take steps against 'goondaism' in the city. Zone III covers Pimpri, Chinchwad, Nigdi, Hinjewadi, Bhosari, Kalewadi and Chatuhshrungi areas.
Police suspect that the murder was the fallout of a land dispute. Temgire's uncle Deepak Temgire lodged the complaint at Hinjewadi police station. Temgire, elected in March, was into real estate business.
Investigation is on to find out if he was eliminated by any organised crime syndicate. ACP Vishnu Mane said, "Four teams have been formed to investigate the case. The crime branch is conducting a parallel probe. So far, there are no details that can be shared."
Police said Temgire was arrested in a murder case registered at Paud police station in 2007. He was later released on bail.
Temgire's case is the second murder suspected due to land dispute in the last one month. Earlier, on May 23, builder Surendra Shah (56) of Bhakti Group was hacked to death by a labour contractor at Kasarwadi following a land dispute. Police had arrested the contractor Rajesh Mote and five labourers.
- No proof required: MGNREGA does not help poor
- Male-dominated ‘places of worship’ are places where god doesn’t reside
- As Sushma visits Lanka, India should invest its diplomatic capital in finding constitutional solution
- There is talk of 4th industrial revolution. How about spreading the benefits of the preceding three
- It Made China See Red
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2