Sassoon issued 5,065 certificates to differently abled through SADM
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
- Haryana, Gujarat top industry-friendly states, Maharashtra among bottom five
The Sassoon General Hospital issued as many as 5,065 certificates to persons with disabilities in the state using the, Software for Assessment of Disability, Maharashtra (SADM), launched early this year. In Pune, only Sassoon Hospital and Pune District Hospital at Aundh generate certificates online using the new software.
The software was necessitated after complaints of subjectivity creeped in during assessments by medical boards appointed to issue disability certificates needed by differently abled to avail 3 per cent quota in government jobs. The software now certifies the extent of disability and issues certificates online.
People with disabilities face physical, social and economic barriers in society. The state health department's move to introduce the software was to check for any malpractice while issuing certificates. Under the initiative, a team of doctors evaluate physically-challenged people and feed the data into the computer for the software to evaluate the extent of disability. The theme for this year's World Disabled Day (December 3), is break barriers, open doors for an inclusive society and development for all.
To expedite the process where disabled can avail of jobs, the software has helped in providing certificates to 41,258 people at 26 district hospitals across the state. As many as 16,723 persons with orthopaedic impairments, 11,058 visually impaired and 7,222 hearing impaired were issued certificates besides 6,301 mentally retarded and 224 with other mental illnessess. Pune District Hospital at Aundh issued as many as 2,237 certificates and Sassoon 5,065.
Dr Ashok Nandapurkar, District Civil Surgeon, told Newsline that a large number of people who apply for disability certificates have orthopaedic, hearing and visual impairments. Pune district hospital issued 972 certificates to people with orthopaedic impairments, 900 to hearing impaired and 328 to visually
At 16 medical colleges in the state, as many as 14,087 disability certificates have been issued online, of which the highest have been issued by B J Medical College and Sassoon.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress