Sassoon issued 5,065 certificates to differently abled through SADM
- Lok Sabha elections: First phase of polling ends, Assam records 72 pc voting, Tripura 80 pc
- BJP manifesto pledges good governance, talks of constructing Ram Temple, abrogating Article 370
- Possible signals from lost jet's black boxes heard
- Revenge remark: EC issues notice to Amit Shah
- Elections 2014 LIVE: BJP has made Advani "small leader", says Rahul Gandhi
The Sassoon General Hospital issued as many as 5,065 certificates to persons with disabilities in the state using the, Software for Assessment of Disability, Maharashtra (SADM), launched early this year. In Pune, only Sassoon Hospital and Pune District Hospital at Aundh generate certificates online using the new software.
The software was necessitated after complaints of subjectivity creeped in during assessments by medical boards appointed to issue disability certificates needed by differently abled to avail 3 per cent quota in government jobs. The software now certifies the extent of disability and issues certificates online.
People with disabilities face physical, social and economic barriers in society. The state health department's move to introduce the software was to check for any malpractice while issuing certificates. Under the initiative, a team of doctors evaluate physically-challenged people and feed the data into the computer for the software to evaluate the extent of disability. The theme for this year's World Disabled Day (December 3), is break barriers, open doors for an inclusive society and development for all.
To expedite the process where disabled can avail of jobs, the software has helped in providing certificates to 41,258 people at 26 district hospitals across the state. As many as 16,723 persons with orthopaedic impairments, 11,058 visually impaired and 7,222 hearing impaired were issued certificates besides 6,301 mentally retarded and 224 with other mental illnessess. Pune District Hospital at Aundh issued as many as 2,237 certificates and Sassoon 5,065.
Dr Ashok Nandapurkar, District Civil Surgeon, told Newsline that a large number of people who apply for disability certificates have orthopaedic, hearing and visual impairments. Pune district hospital issued 972 certificates to people with orthopaedic impairments, 900 to hearing impaired and 328 to visually
At 16 medical colleges in the state, as many as 14,087 disability certificates have been issued online, of which the highest have been issued by B J Medical College and Sassoon.
- Ukraine says Russia fomenting eastern unrest
- Liquor worth Rs 4.85 cr seized in MP ahead of LS polls
- Man held with foreign currency worth Rs 38 lakh at airport
- Candidates steering towards auto unions to rev up support
- ‘Will send builders of illegal structures to jail’
- To root out corruption, vote for change and give the new face a chance, says Bains