Satyajit Ray's 'Sonar Kella' to be recreated in Kolkata
- SC orders completion of trial of all sitting MPs, MLAs within year of framing charges
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- Raj Thackeray warms up to Narendra Modi, lets Sena feel the heat
- Rs 25,000 cr: CAG sees biggest ever J&K land scam
- Uttar Pradesh BJP wants tickets for four riot-accused MLAs
Jaisalmer Fort, which featured in Satyajit Ray's film as 'Sonar Kella' (the golden fort), would be recreated at the Salt Lake stadium here in a cultural festival.
"The helipad ground in Salt Lake stadium will be decorated in such a way that it would look like 'Sonar Kella'. The ground will resemble a Rajasthani village complete with folk dance, camel rides, desert safari, puppetry and also special Marwari food," Bishambhar Newar of Marwari Sanskriti Manch, the organisers, told reporters.
This would be part of eight-day 'Marudhar Mela', to begin from December 24 with support from the state government's sports department to coincide with Christmas and New Year.
"The aim of organising Marudhar Mela is to blend the culture of Rajasthan and Haryana with the rich heritage of West Bengal and to connect today's youth with their tradition and culture," state sports and transport minister Madan Mitra said.
Built in 1156 AD in Jaisalmer city, the historical fort is famous for its massive yellow sandstone walls amidst the golden stretches of Thar desert.
Ray had written a mystery novel revolving round the fort and later made a film on it.
Besides creating sand dunes, the organisers said they would also bring in camels to give revellers a feel of the rural ambience of a typical Rajasthan village.
Over 150 artists from Rajasthan and Haryana will perform their traditional Kalbelia dance, Ghoomar dance and Badmer gher dance to entertain visitors.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress