SBI workers take part in nationwide protest against top management
- CBI arrests Peter Mukerjea, says he was aware of Sheena Bora murder
- Pay panel suggests 23.55% hike, minimum pay of Rs 18,000 per month
- Paris attacks 'mastermind' Abdelhamid Abaaoud died in Saint-Denis raid
- HS Phoolka releases video of Rajiv Gandhi's speech justifying 1984 riots
- Rahul accuses PM, dares govt to take action on citizenship row
Members of the local head office of the State Bank of India (SBI), Sector 17, Chandigarh were joined by those of nearby branches and the administrative office of Punjab in a demonstration against the charge-sheeting of the general secretaries and presidents of 14 circle associations and the slapping of rule 19(3) against three retiring office bearers of the All India State Bank Officer's Federation (AISBOF).
The demonstration was held as part of the nation wide protest by the AISBOF to "condemn the adamant move of the management in victimisation by use of draconian powers." Members raised slogans and alleged that the SBI chairman is callous in his attitude. They also wore black badges as a mark of protest against the anti-officer policies of the bank's top management.
Comrade D K Sharma, president, SBI Officer's Association, Chandigarh Circle, while hailing the participation of the members in implementation of the action programme on a massive scale throughout the country, also asked members to "gear up for a long struggle to defeat negative forces." He said that the "prolonged'' agitation has been taken up to protect the self respect and dignity of officers."
"The onslaught of the management and frontal attack on the legitimate trade union rights will be met with more resistance," Sharma said, asking the members to gear up for an indefinite strike in case the management continues with what he termed its "anti-trade union, anti-officers and anti-bank policies."
- What Mr Mani Shankar Aiyar won’t say
- Results of local elections indicate that the BSP is regaining ground in UP
- The idea of Bihar: Social justice cohesion should be consolidated further
- Why the British commemorate Tipu Sultan
- Why my newspaper responded to Assam Rifles notice
- India is indebted to Shanti Bhushan for undoing Indira Gandhi’s 42nd Amendment