SC allows Rajasthan HC judge's daughter to marry man of her choice
- âTehseen names new Indian Mujahideen duo in 2010 Jama Masjid shootingâ
- SC junks Centreâs plea, stands by order to grant life to Rajiv Gandhi's killers
- After BJP ticket, Smriti Irani becomes target of mockery by Kumar Vishwas
- Tharoor faces slander and a contest
- Powerful 8.2 magnitude earthquake strikes off Chile, triggers tsunami alert
The Supreme Court on Monday directed the Rajasthan police to ensure safety of a Rajasthan High Court judge's daughter, who had complained against her house arrest by parents following her wishes to marry a man of her choice.
A bench led by Justice H L Dattu recorded the statement of the girl and allowed her request to let her go with the man she wants to marry in stead of sending her back to the parents.
The court noted that she was a major and had liberty in making choices regarding her marriage. The girl told the court that she loved her parents but wanted to accompany the man she loved. Subsequently, the court asked the police to ensure her well-being and let her go with Siddharth Mukherjee, who had filed a habeas corpus petition in the court.
Mukherjee had also attached with his petition the e-mails she had written to various authorities, including judges of the Supreme Court, high courts and police. The court had on the last date asked the Rajasthan police to produce her for recording her statement.