SC asks for papers relating to NGT chief’s appointment
- 15 security personnel killed as Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh
- Malaysia military believes it has tracked missing jet over Strait of Malacca
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
The Supreme Court on Wednesday asked the Centre to place before it relevant documents pertaining to appointment of chairperson of the National Green Tribunal (NGT).
A Bench led by Justice G S Singhvi fixed the matter for hearing on Thursday after Additional Solicitor General A S Chandhiok informed that the Centre had sought some "clarifications" from the Chief Justice of India over the recommendation of a sitting apex court judge for the post of the chairperson.
Observing that the recommendation was made in August, the court expressed its displeasure over the delay in the appointment of the chairperson and sought to know the reasons for a fresh consultation with the CJI. The ASG, however, said he was not in a position to respond for want of proper instructions. The court then posted the matter for Thursday, asking the ASG to bring relevant records with him.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express