Security protocol for net banking, Facebook has serious weaknesses: experts
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Kejriwal attacks 'helicopter politics' of Modi and Gandhis; Priyanka says others misguiding voters
- SC sets up panel to frame guidelines for government ads ahead of polls
- Mulayam Yadav calls Narendra Modi a liar, says he changes 500 kurtas a day
- 12-yr-olds also voted in this Bihar village
- Shazia says Muslims should become 'communal' when they vote
The protocol that provides security for online banking, credit card data and social networking site Facebook has "major weaknesses" which may lead to interception of sensitive personal data, UK scientists warn.
The Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol is used by millions of people on a daily basis. It provides security for online banking, as well as for credit card data when shopping on the Internet.
In addition, many email systems in the workplace use it, as well as a number of big companies including Facebook and Google.
Professor Kenny Paterson from the Information Security Group at Royal Holloway University and researcher Nadhem AlFardan found that a so-called 'Man-in-the Middle' attack can be launched against TLS and sensitive personal data can be intercepted in this way.
They have identified a flaw in the way in which the protocol terminates TLS sessions. This leaks a small amount of information to the attacker, who can use it to gradually build up a complete picture of the data being sent.
"While these attacks do not pose a significant threat to ordinary users in its current form, attacks only get better with time. Given TLS's extremely widespread use, it is crucial to tackle this issue now," Paterson said in a statement.
"Luckily we have discovered a number of countermeasures that can be used. We have been working with a number of companies and organisations, including Google, Oracle and OpenSSL, to test their systems against attack and put the appropriate defences in place," Paterson added.
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'
- Missing plane MH370: Australia plans to use system that found Titanic
- Nandurbar helps me win in Gujarat, it will now help me win India: Narendra Modi
- Run Away Style
- Stakes high for AIADMK, DMK as TN goes to polls
- Six Bengal constituencies go to poll tomorrow in second phase