SC verdict on Kudankulam n-plant today
- April 23 campaign roundup: AAP leader Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Vadra rakes up snooping row to target Narendra Modi
- IPL 7: All-round Jadeja steals show in CSK win
The Supreme Court will on Monday deliver its verdict on a bunch of petitions, demanding a stay on commissioning of the Kudankulam nuclear plant in Tamil Nadu. The petitions, filed by anti-nuclear activists, have also sought scrapping of the project, allegedly since safety measures recommended by an expert body for the plant had not been put in place by the authorities concerned.
Various questions pertaining to the disposal of nuclear waste, its impact on the environment and the safety of people living in the vicinity have also been raised. The Centre, the Tamil Nadu government and the NPCIL have however refuted all the allegations.
- Main accused in hawala racket has underworld links: Police
- Sindhu, Kashyap advance, Srikanth exits early at Asian C’ships
- Adhiban recovers, stays in lead
- 1 jumps to death as fire breaks out in Surat 10-storey building
- Barcelona gets temporary relief as FIFA freezes transfer ban
- Moyes thanks Ferguson, stays mum on players