Scanners at rly stations weren’t a necessity
- Srinagar: Militants shoot dead 3 policemen in two separate attacks
- Tamil Nadu: Jaya sworn in as Chief Minister for consecutive second term
- India's RLV-TD launch: All you need to know about the reusable space shuttle
- Trade, transit links on table, but Pakistan will be back of mind for both India, Iran
- Kerala: Jawan found dead with gunshot wounds at naval base in Kochi
MAYURA JANWALKAR: Do you think in future it would be possible to buy local train tickets online?
SJ: Even in the most advanced countries people use methods like smart card and vending machines for ticketing. Our system is centralised, so it would be difficult to have online ticketing.
SAGNIK CHOWDHURY: There is a perception that Western Railway is more commuter friendly and has better facilities than CR in the city. Why is CR lagging?
SJ: I admit this is a fact. But this is also because Western Railway has to deal with only a straight single line, whereas CR is more complex and has three lines to manage. CR is older but priority is always given to WR. Whenever new rakes are acquired, they are given to Western Railway first.
SAGNIK CHOWDHURY: Do you ever contest such preferential treatment?
- Supreme Court has rightly upheld criminal defamation law
- India’s democratic success is due to the EC, and the triumph of trust over cynicism
- President’s Rule must be abolished. Uttarakhand developments show why
- What President Pranab Mukherjee must say to Beijing
- Tony Cozier loved Caribbean cricket, brought the game alive for millions
- Chabahar test: An opportunity to India?