Schemes hit by graft, lack of political will, says Biocon chief
- Third phase of LS polls ends: High turnout in 91 seats; Chandigarh tops with 74 per cent
- BJP sacks Jaswant Singh's son Manvendra; Ansari not to contest against Modi
- #WhyiVoted: Let's hear it from India
- First time, Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, calls her change ânakliâ
- Mulayam questions death penalty for rape, says 'boys make mistakes'
A "well intentioned" programme fails due to lack of political and bureaucratic will and corruption in implementation of schemes, Biocon chief Kiran Mazumdar Shaw said Saturday. She was a guest at the 25th Centenary Endowment Lecture of the Intelligence Bureau in New Delhi.
"There is no shortage of schemes to address the myriad challenges that confront us. However, most of these often fulfil only a small part of what they set out to do. Reasons for failure range from corruption or simply the lack of political and bureaucratic will to execute," she said.
Shaw, named among 100 most influential persons by Time, said inadequate resource allocations across schemes also fail to deliver on their expected outcomes.
"As a result, most of our programmes, even if well intentioned, have one fundamental shortcoming: the governance mechanism to deliver these schemes is mired in inefficiency and unaccountability," Shaw said.
New & Renewable Energy Minister Farooq Abdullah and Ministers of State Rajiv Shukla and V Narayanasamy were also present at the event.
For growth to be inclusive, the country must leverage innovative, problem solving approaches to deliver good governance, she said. "We must formulate policies that focus on helping people emerge from an existence of perpetual disadvantage through incentives, not handouts."
- Srinath wins title but Deshpande steals show
- Ambala Lok Sabha constituency: 65.15 pc vote in Panchkula district
- ‘No smoking’ signages to dot polling booths
- City breaks electoral record as 74 pc turn out to vote
- BJP campaign in Varanasi starts April 12 — without Modi
- Cong spending Rs 50 cr on each constituency: Kumaraswamy