Scholarís death: NIT teacher held
- HSBC Indian list just doubled to 1195 names. Balance: Rs 25420 cr
- Manjhi expelled, Nitish stakes claim to form govt in Bihar
- Hanging of Afzal Guru was 'wrong' & 'badly' handled, says Shashi Tharoor
- Have given it my all, not nervous about result: Kiran Bedi
- Japanese girl allegedly raped by tourist guide in Jaipur
An assistant professor at National Institute of Technology-Calicut was on Saturday arrested in connection with the death of a woman research scholar at the same institute.
O K Indu had gone missing during a train journey on April 24, 2011. Her body was found in a river near Kochi a few days later. She had traveled along with her friend K Subash, an assistant professor, from here to Kozhikode.
Ruling out the initial suspicion that Indu might have jumped from the moving train, the police suspected the role of Subash. An eyewitness had told the police that he had seen someone near the train door when an object fell into the river.
Police said Subash was unhappy with Indu, with whom he had a close relationship, for getting engaged to another person. The incident took place three weeks before Indu's marriage was scheduled.