School summer vacations to begin from Monday
- Live, Ind vs Aus: Quick strikes put India on top
- Bengal nun gangrape: First arrest made from Mumbai
- Germanwings crash: Chilling report says one pilot left cockpit, was unable to return
- If anything that is defamatory goes off, we will have a very boring Internet: Jaitley
- Hooda govt bent rules to favour Robert Vadra firm: CAG
There is some good news for children and parents. Summer vacations in schools, which were earlier scheduled from June 1 to 30, have been preponed. The state education department has decided to give children a break from the scorching heat from this Monday.
According to sources, deputy commissioners of several districts wrote to Education Minister Dr Upinderjit Kaur requesting her to prepone the vacations due to the ongoing heat wave and long powercuts. Some educational institutes had also changed the timings by starting an hour earlier.
A senior officer of the department said: "The extra one-week may be adjusted in the autumn break. As per the Right to Education Act, 240 days of teaching will be ensured in the schools." Meanwhile, Vachittar Singh, district education officer, (Secondary), Ludhiana, said, "Although we are yet to get a written order in this regard, the education minister told us about the changed schedule of holidays in a meeting held recently."