School summer vacations to begin from Monday
- Naxal threat has to be quashed with a firm hand, says Pranab, as Maoists kill 16 in Chhattisgarh ambush
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to the west coast
- AAP defends Rs 20,000 per person dinner with Kejriwal, says it was transparent
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
There is some good news for children and parents. Summer vacations in schools, which were earlier scheduled from June 1 to 30, have been preponed. The state education department has decided to give children a break from the scorching heat from this Monday.
According to sources, deputy commissioners of several districts wrote to Education Minister Dr Upinderjit Kaur requesting her to prepone the vacations due to the ongoing heat wave and long powercuts. Some educational institutes had also changed the timings by starting an hour earlier.
A senior officer of the department said: "The extra one-week may be adjusted in the autumn break. As per the Right to Education Act, 240 days of teaching will be ensured in the schools." Meanwhile, Vachittar Singh, district education officer, (Secondary), Ludhiana, said, "Although we are yet to get a written order in this regard, the education minister told us about the changed schedule of holidays in a meeting held recently."
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express