School texts parents 'Your child is a piece of s**t' in China
- Maharashtra Revenue Minister Eknath Khadse resigns after allegations of impropriety in land deal
- Muhammad Ali: A furious and loud fighter whose influence was felt far beyond the ring
- Boxing legend Muhammad Ali's top quotes
- PM Modi in Afghanistan, inaugurates Salma Dam in Herat
- Mathura clashes: After being slammed for posting pics, Hema Malini demands CBI probe
More than 600 parents in China's eastern Zhejiang province were shocked and furious to receive a text message from their children's school calling pupils "a piece of s**t."
Xin Ou primary school sent out a mass text message to Wenzhou parents on Tuesday that said "this student is basically a stupid piece of shit, how was s/he ever born?" Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post quoted local Chinese media as saying.
Angry parents asked school officials for an explanation. A school spokesperson said the message was the result of a software malfunction.
The school had been using a software platform named "Education Baby" that allowed teachers to text parents about students' performances. The system collapsed on Tuesday.
Someone could have hacked into the system to send the malicious message, the spokesperson said.
The school has issued a letter of apology to parents, who are still waiting for the results of the police investigation.
"I actually think this is what some teachers truly believe," said a netizen sarcastically on China's micro-blogging service Sina Weibo.
- Modi, Obama must work for geo-political burden-sharing between India, US
- Search for a house in Delhi NCR is longer and more arduous for a Muslim tenant
- Ahmadi embarrassment
- Holiday ends for Mauritius
- NDA government has deftly blended welfare and growth measures
- Internet polls show that a strict nuclear taboo is not widespread among the Indian public