School watchman held for molesting student
- If Land Bill has anything against farmers, I'm ready to change it, says PM Modi
- Essar Leaks: ‘Guests are very important people... Kindly see they are comfortable’
- Mufti to head 25-member cabinet; PM to attend his swearing-in on Sunday
- Economic Survey pegs India's growth at over 8 percent, says inflation easing
- Rail budget missed the opportunity to lay out an agenda for the future, writes Nitish
A watchman of a school in Goregaon (East) was arrested Tuesday evening for allegedly molesting a 14-year-old student of the school. Police have invoked sections of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012 in the case.
Police said accused Harish Tiwari (50) lured the student of class 9 to his cabin on the school premises and molested her. The incident took place on January 19, after school hours, said police.
The victim told the police that she was sitting for an examination on the day of the incident. She completed her paper half an hour before the deadline and left the classroom, police said. She was waiting for her friends outside the class, when the watchman told her that she could wait in his cabin.
"When the girl entered the cabin, Tiwari asked her if she was hungry. The girl replied that she was carrying her tiffin box. She opened it and began eating, when the watchman offered her snacks. He stood behind the girl and hugged her. The girl was shocked and could not move, when Tiwari demanded a kiss from her. She screamed and fled," said Pravin Patil, DCP (Zone 12).
The girl told her mother about Tiwari. Her mother approached school authorities who conducted an enquiry. "On Monday, school authorities gave us a letter about the incident. They have dismissed Tiwari," said Patil.
"The girl had complained to the school about the incident. We immediately dismissed Tiwari. We are with the girl and her parents," said school secretary Sukanya Samant.