Scientists create stretchable battery
- Kashmir floods LIVE: Many feared dead as houses collapse in Budgam district
- ‘Mukhyamantri ka saala’ is a story of growth in Chhattisgarh
- AAP removes Ramdas as Lokpal, Bhushan from disciplinary panel
- Ahmed Patel, seen and heard like never before
- Retd Lt Gen says will write to Chief about Army role in Hashimpura
The unique mechanism is a "spring within a spring":The line connecting the components is a large "S" shape and within that "S" are many smaller "S's".
When the battery is stretched, the large "S" first stretches out and disappears, leaving a line of small squiggles. The stretching continues, with the small squiggles disappearing as the interconnect between electrodes becomes taut.
"We call this ordered unraveling. And this is how we can produce a battery that stretches up to 300 per cent of its original size," Huang said.
The stretching process is reversible, and the battery can work for eight to nine hours before it needs recharging.
The details of the battery were published in journal Nature Communications.