Scientists develop miracle drug that can cure any viral infection
- Raghuram Rajan: Should focus on structural reforms, not get fixated with growth numbers
- Looking for God’s own country: Kerala's missing and signs of radicalisation
- Arunchal Pradesh: Pema Khandu sworn in as CM, Chowna Mein as deputy
- 'Talk to AK': Arvind Kejriwal holds interactive session with citizens
- Made us beggars, stop adventurism by governors: CMs at Inter-State Council meeting
In what might be the greatest medical discovery since penicillin, scientists have developed a broad-spectrum drug which they claim can cure everything – from the common cold to HIV to almost any other virus one can think of.
A team of researchers at the the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in the US created the drug, known by the acronym DRACO, which homes in on infected cells and makes them self-destruct.
Its hit list includes human rhinoviruses -- the bugs that cause half of colds in adults and almost all colds in children -- flu, polio, a stomach bug and deadly dengue fever, the researchers said.
But DRACO, they said, is also expected to zap measles and German measles, cold sores, rabies and even HIV – and could be on pharmacy shelves in a decade, the Daily Mail reported.
Lead researcher Mike Rider said: "It's certainly possible that there's some virus that we aren't able to treat but we haven't found it yet.
"The discovery of antibiotics revolutionised the treatment of bacterial infections and we hope that this will revolutionise the treatment of viral infections. There aren't very many anti-viral drugs out there at the moment."
In lab tests, DRACO killed 15 viruses, including germs behind the common cold and two types of flu. It also saved the lives of mice given a dose of flu that should have killed them.
Amazingly, it's found to be working so quickly that if taken early enough it should stop any symptoms from appearing.
- Kashmir is more than land, it is people
- Does Kashmir need a military response or a political one?
- Javadekar’s job profile in his new ministry helped bring about the elevation
- The Conservative Party has upheld the existing order and resisted ideas of rapid change
- Modi administration has everything going for it except the belief that it is capable of taking the moral high ground
- Childcare is a women’s issue. Could we hope to make it gender neutral?