Scientists record highest ever man-made temperature
- Don't just love Kashmir for its beauty, love it for its people: Congress tells PM Narendra Modi
- LIVE: Do not distinguish between the land and people of Kashmir, says Derek O'Brien
- Gujarat: Forced out, these Dalits are refugees 15 km from home
- Vasundhara Raje admits to problem: Gau rakshak shops asking for more
- We walk the road Vajpayee mapped, Kashmir can feel Azadi that India has: Modi
Scientists claimed to have broken the Guinness World record for achieving the hottest man-made temperatures ever, which is 1,00,000 times hotter then the Sun's interior.
Physicists from The European Organization for Nuclear Research's (CERN) Large Hadron Collider near Geneva, Switzerland reached the temperature after colliding lead ions to momentarily create a quark¿gluon plasma, a subatomic soup and unique state of matter, the Daily Mail reported.
The team claimed their quark-gluon plasma temperature is 38 per cent hotter than the current Guinness World Record, set by the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) at Brookhaven National Laboratory, New York by smashing gold ions together.
Scientists believe that at the point in our universe's history quarks and gluons basic building blocks of matter were not confined inside composite particles such as protons and neutrons, as they are Monday.
Instead, they moved freely in a state of matter known as 'quark gluon plasma'.
Collisions of lead ions in the LHC, the world's most powerful particle accelerator, recreate for a fleeting moment conditions similar to those of the early universe.
By examining a billion or so of these collisions, the experiments were able to make more precise measurements of the properties of matter under these extreme conditions.
The results came from the LHC's ALICE - A Large Ion Collider Experiment.
"The team's measurement is relatively uncertain and, moreover, they haven't yet converted an energy measurement into degrees," ALICE spokesman Paolo Giubellino was quoted as saying by Nature journal.
But he said there's no reason to suspect that the conversion won't produce a number like 5.5 trillion degrees.
- She has not let anyone down. The people of India have let down Irom Sharmila
- Triple talaq: Indian Muslims must find a solution in accordance with the teachings and spirit of Islam
- Several problems and hurdles lie ahead in the implementation of the GST regime
- In Brazil, majestic horses leapt over hurdles. In India, the holy cow lay low
- Poor management of floods afflicts the Assam economy
- Una awakening: New focus on land distribution for redemption of Dalit dignity