Scientists record highest ever man-made temperature
- Rohtak rally: Ambani, Modi, Rahul, media â all are corrupt, says Arvind Kejriwal
- Donât discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit to Shinde
- Fraud Office gets govt nod to prosecute Radia firms
- âStingâ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Army said unit was headed for IAF drill, ex-Air Chief says this was due only a month later
Scientists claimed to have broken the Guinness World record for achieving the hottest man-made temperatures ever, which is 1,00,000 times hotter then the Sun's interior.
Physicists from The European Organization for Nuclear Research's (CERN) Large Hadron Collider near Geneva, Switzerland reached the temperature after colliding lead ions to momentarily create a quark¿gluon plasma, a subatomic soup and unique state of matter, the Daily Mail reported.
The team claimed their quark-gluon plasma temperature is 38 per cent hotter than the current Guinness World Record, set by the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) at Brookhaven National Laboratory, New York by smashing gold ions together.
Scientists believe that at the point in our universe's history quarks and gluons basic building blocks of matter were not confined inside composite particles such as protons and neutrons, as they are Monday.
Instead, they moved freely in a state of matter known as 'quark gluon plasma'.
Collisions of lead ions in the LHC, the world's most powerful particle accelerator, recreate for a fleeting moment conditions similar to those of the early universe.
By examining a billion or so of these collisions, the experiments were able to make more precise measurements of the properties of matter under these extreme conditions.
The results came from the LHC's ALICE - A Large Ion Collider Experiment.
"The team's measurement is relatively uncertain and, moreover, they haven't yet converted an energy measurement into degrees," ALICE spokesman Paolo Giubellino was quoted as saying by Nature journal.
But he said there's no reason to suspect that the conversion won't produce a number like 5.5 trillion degrees.
"It's a very delicate measurement," he said.
- ‘Irrespective of the noise, BJP won’t get so many seats. There is craze for Modi, but how much translates into votes is difficult to say’
- Hindus should 'produce' at least 5 children, says VHP leader Ashok Singhal
- AMU teachers body to boycott Mulayam visit
- Mulayam, Akhilesh woo Brahmins, Muslims
- ‘Sting’ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Don’t discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit writes to Shinde