Screen Awards 2013: Best Film
- Winter session Day 1: Govt talks about misuse of word 'secularism', Sonia raises 'intolerance' debate
- Sheena murder: CBI seeks Interpol help, Peter Mukerjea's custody extended till Nov 30
- PPCC chief Bajwa and Jakhar made to resign as rejig in Punjab Congress imminent
- Constitution Day: The many reasons why the BJP decided to celebrate it
- India-Pakistan series to be played from December 15 in Sri Lanka: Rajiv Shukla
Nominations 2012: Barfi!, English Vinglish, Gangs Of Wasseypur, Kahaani, Paan Singh Tomar, Vicky Donor
We were very, very passionate about both Barfi! and Paan Singh Tomar. Barfi! is a film that has been born out of Anurag Basu completely, and we were bowled over when he narrated the story. It was a four-hour long narration; what you see on-screen is exactly what he had told us. Every one — from the actors to the DOP to the spot boy to the music directors — put their heart and soul in the film, and that's the reason the film has got all this appreciation.
Paan Singh Tomar is (also) a film that we backed all the way. When Tigmanshu (Dhulia, film-maker) narrated it to us, we realised that we had a wonderful ready-made real-life story. Everyone was charged while working for the film. We even shot in the ravines of Chambal for several days. Tigmanshu and Irrfan (Khan, actor) put their blood and sweat literally into the film. The movie got so much appreciation and acclaim that I am really proud of it.
– Siddharth Roy Kapur, Managing Director, Studios -- Disney UTV (Barfi! and Paan Singh Tomar)
I am honoured that Vicky Donor has been nominated in the Best Film category. It should win!
— John Abraham, John Abraham Entertainment (Vicky Donor)
We are very proud to have produced Vicky Donor and I thank Screen for nominating this film in the Best Film category. We believe in concept-driven films, and Vicky Donor veered away from the tried and tested formula. The unusual subject, screenplay and the interesting characters backed by the directorial talent of Shoojit Sircar attracted us to the project. I am glad it struck a chord across audiences, and was also acclaimed by the critics.
- Why every patriot should be worried, and, yes, ashamed
- Douglass North emphasised institutions when markets were the focus
- ‘Bovine Divine’ controversy lurched between the horrific and the comic
- PM Modi’s achievements abroad appear to cut little ice back home
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?