Scribe hurt in scuffle with cops
- Navjot Sidhu: Quit RS because I was told to stay away from Punjab
- Chinkara poaching case: Salman Khan acquitted by Rajasthan High Court
- SC issues notice to Vijay Mallya on bank plea seeking contempt proceedings
- Journalists' visa issue: Chinese media warns India of repercussions
- Parliament LIVE: Speaker Mahajan advises Mann not to attend proceedings till decision arrived at
In a scuffle that occurred between police personnel and some journalists who had gone to cover a suicide incident at a private hospital at Broad street, a reporter of a Bengali television channel was severely beaten and was admitted to a hospital.
Following the incident, the media persons complained to the Commissioner of the Kolkata Police R K Pachnanda, who assured action against the guilty police personnel.
A police complaint was also filed at the Karaya police station against the police.
The incident happened when Arabinda Chakraborty, an aged psychiatric patient admitted in a private nursing home at Broad street, allegedly committed suicide by jumping from the balcony of the hospital room. Chakraborty was taken to SSKM hospital where he was declared dead, said police.
- BJP was not dependent on Dalits to win Gujarat. But the apathy may cost in other states
- Jayalalithaa and Mamata defend Mayawati, recast politics on gender lines
- The Worship of False Gods
- As Trump’s support cuts across traditional lines, Hillary Clinton has a tough task
- SH Raza He was the last of Progressive Artists’ Group titans. Only the Bindu remains
- The recent violence against Dalits in Gujarat is a fallout of the Sangh Parivar’s diktats on food