SC/ST govt job promotions quota bill moved in Rajya Sabha amid high drama
- Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case: Javed Sheikh's father moves CBI court against Amit Shah, ex-DGP; wants them arraigned
- Editors body slams Arvind Kejriwal for 'irresponsible' media remark, says it is a sign of 'weakness'
- Seven-storey building collapses in Mumbai
- Goa court grants permission to Tarun Tejpal to meet his ailing mother
- Arvind Kejriwal alleges whole media is sold, backtracks later
Shivanand Tiwari (JD-U) said his party too fully supported the bill and questioned what was wrong if BSP chief Mayawati sought support for welfare of SC/ST communities in a situation where they lagged much behind in government jobs.
Slamming Congress for its approach on the issue, he said even Jawaharlal Nehru in a letter to Chief Ministers had opposed any such reservation, which was strongly objected to by Minister of State in PMO V Narayanasamy.
Tiwari said he was in possession of a copy of such letter and was ready to resign from the House if it was proved wrong.
At the same time he challenged Narayanasamy to quit he was found wrong.
D Bandopadhyay (Trinamool) said the bill will correct all historical injustices. Even after reservation in early stages in government jobs, the condition was such that there were only five officials from the community in additional secretary rank and only 42 in joint secretary rank.