Second wife can also claim alimony in some cases: Supreme Court
- Top General speaks on 2012 troop movement: "Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly"
- India slams Pakistan for allowing Masood Azhar to spew venom
- 15th Lok Sabha: Most disrupted session in history
- Telangana bill passage shows country can take difficult decisions: Prime Minister
- Arvind Kejriwal writes to Narendra Modi on gas pricing, targets Mukesh Ambani again
The Supreme Court Friday ruled that a second wife in a Hindu marriage would also be entitled to alimony in some cases. The court said if a man has kept his second wife in the dark about his first marriage, he is legally bound to provide for her and their children, although she cannot be treated as a "legally wedded wife".
Stating that the court had to further the cause of "social justice", a bench of Justices Ranjana P Desai and A K Sikri said, "Provision of maintenance would definitely fall in this category which aims at empowering the destitute and achieving social justice or equality and dignity of the individual".
While Section 125 of the CrPC envisages a claim for maintenance only by a legally wedded wife, the court said, "If this interpretation is not accepted, it would amount to giving a premium to the husband for defrauding the wife. Therefore, at least for the purpose of claiming maintenance, such a woman is to be treated as the legally wedded wife."
On its earlier rulings which held that the second wife in a Hindu marriage could not claim alimony, the court said, "The said judgment would not apply to those cases where a man marries a second time by keeping that lady in the dark about the first surviving marriage."
- What should common man expect when PM’s killers are freed: Rahul on Jayalalithaa’s decision
- Anna Hazare says, I support Mamata Banerjee for her ideas
- The regressive state | The Indian Express
- Top General speaks: Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly