Sectarian clash: Situation tense in violence-hit old city area
- CBI arrests Peter Mukerjea, says he was aware of Sheena Bora murder
- Pay panel suggests 23.55% hike, minimum pay of Rs 18,000 per month
- Paris attacks 'mastermind' Abdelhamid Abaaoud died in Saint-Denis raid
- HS Phoolka releases video of Rajiv Gandhi's speech justifying 1984 riots
- Rahul accuses PM, dares govt to take action on citizenship row
Situation in the old city area here continued to remain tense today with some local residents resorting to brick batting during the funeral procession of a person who was killed in a sectarian clash, police said.
One person was killed while over a dozen others were injured in sectarian clash that broke out in old city area yesterday.
Local residents shouting slogans indulged in brick batting in Ramganj area during the funeral procession, ADG Law and Order, Arun Kumar said.
Kumar admitted to an incident of stabbing being reported from another area despite the presence of senior officials.
The ADG said that RAF and ATS commandos staged a flag march as a confidence building measure.
Provincial Armed Constabulary, Rapid Action Force, special operation commandos have been deployed and the area has been divided into sectors.
Officials expressed confidence that peace would be restored soon with the help of leaders of both sects.
Kumar admitted that it was a planned attempt to disturb peace in the area, but promised that those behind the violence would be taken to task.
The ADG said that a total of four FIRs have been lodged in connection with yesterday's incidents in which 13 people have been named. A total six people, including three named in the FIR have been arrested.
Kumar said that a detailed investigation would be carried out into the circumstances leading to the incident, including disruption of power supply for a brief time.
- What Mr Mani Shankar Aiyar won’t say
- Results of local elections indicate that the BSP is regaining ground in UP
- The idea of Bihar: Social justice cohesion should be consolidated further
- Why the British commemorate Tipu Sultan
- Why my newspaper responded to Assam Rifles notice
- India is indebted to Shanti Bhushan for undoing Indira Gandhi’s 42nd Amendment