Security firm's property attached for service tax default
- Patna High Court stays Nitish Kumar's election as JD(U) legislature party chief
- Arvind Kejriwal gets down to business, calls for full statehood for Delhi
- President Pranab Mukherjee warns against deviation from constitutional principles
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: SIT to quiz Shashi Tharoor tomorrow
- Shanti Bhushan accuses Arvind Kejriwal of accepting 'tainted' money
The Service Tax department has attached a property owned by Tops Security, a leading private security firm for payment default of Rs 10 crore, an official said.
"We have attached a five-storey building in Goregoan, which belongs to Tops Security," a Service Tax official said here today.
According to Sameer Wankhede, the Deputy Commissioner of Service Tax, a notice on attachment of the property had been served to Tops Security.
The security firm owned by Rahul Nanda, was a regular defaulter, he said.
Tops Security defaulted on the tax on the amount they received for providing security. The initial defaulted money by the firm is Rs 10 crore, while another Rs 10 crore was added as interest. Besides Rs 90 lakh were added on recurring basis every month, the official said.
"We have recovered over Rs 20 crore from those who have taken services from Tops Security, while for the amount that he has defaulted every month his property was attached," said a source.
Meanwhile, the Service Tax department also registered a case against Tigmanshu Dhulia, director of award-winning Bollywood film 'Paan Singh Tomar'.
Anybody who receives any professional fee as directors or writers is liable to pay service tax and Dhulia had defaulted on Rs 47 lakh, the official said.
Summons was served on the director. After he responded to the summons his statement were recorded and he paid the defaulted amount recently.