Security in-charge betrays trust, rapes woman for 5 months
- David Headley connects the dots: Hafiz Saeed, ISI, failed Mumbai attacks
- David Headley: Travelled to India 8 times, changed name for passport
- Rs 1.14 lakh crore of bad debts: The great government bank write-off
- Caste came up in 3 suicide probes at Hyderabad University
- Uttar Pradesh has been turned into 'Islamic state': Sena mouthpiece on Ghulam Ali concert
Datta Kothavle (38), head of security at Tulsidas Gopalji Pavilion Trust on Peddar Road in South Mumbai, was arrested by Gamdevi Police at Bombay Central bus station on Thursday evening for allegedly raping a woman for five months after filming her naked.
Trustee Amit Bhansali could not be reached for comment. An open space outside a temple managed by the trust has been given to hawkers.
Police said the victim was wife of one of the hawkers.
Kothavle and she used to meet frequently in connection with her husband's stall.
"The accused invited her to a guesthouse around five months ago, ostensibly to meet his family. There, he offered her a spiked soft drink and filmed her naked using his cellphone. When she regained consciousness, he showed her the video, threatened to make it public and forced himself on her. Kothavle allegedly exploited her the next five months, once even following her to her native place," said Manoj Hegishte, assistant inspector.
Police said the hawker soon became suspicious and began keeping a watch on the movements of his wife till he caught her meeting Kothavle at the guesthouse. He confronted her and she confided in him. The couple then approached police on November 8.
"We registered a complaint and went looking for Kothavle at his residence in Kamothe. He was not home. On Thursday evening, we received information that he would be at Mumbai Central bus depot and laid a trap," said Ravindra Game, another assistant inspector.
Kopthavle was produced in court on Friday and has remanded in police custody till November 21. His cellphone has been seized and police are examining its contents. Kothavle is married and has two children.
Demons of the past
October 26, 2012: Abhijeet Mandhre (27) was arrested by Gorai Police for allegedly raping a 30-year-old woman repeatedly promising marriage. He also video-recorded one of the rapes
- Government must resolve growing burden of non-performing assets
- Outrage over police assault on students is meaningless
- Right to a toilet: For the health, dignity and safety of women in slums
- Raja-Mandala: Maritime India versus Continental Delhi
- The Akhilesh-Mulayam duet
- We have turned our back to the intense food and drinking water distress