Security stepped up across Capital
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Supreme Court grants recognition to transgenders as third category of sex
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
- Unethical, betrayal: Prime Minister Manmohan Singhâs daughter voices family anger
- Modi equates Rahul with kids, says âtoffeeâ has caught his fancy after âballoonâ
Security was stepped up across the capital after the hanging of Afzal Guru, a key conspirator in the 2001 Parliament attack case. All police stations in the districts and Special Cell officers were also asked to be prepared to quell violent protests in the coming week.
Sources said the police was alerted about terror threats, especially from banned Kashmiri militant groups.
"In order to preempt a possible terror strike, intensive checking at all vulnerable points, including crowded market places, parking lots, malls, etc has been ordered. We have increased police visibility in all areas," a senior police officer said.
"An elaborate ground-to-air security apparatus was put in place across the capital, especially near the Parliament complex, international airport, inter-state bus terminals, railway stations, Metro stations, India Gate, Connaught Place and Red Fort, to deal with any untoward activity," the officer said.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties