Sedition charge slapped on Owaisi
- Will reach out to 'muslim' brothers, address Ram Temple issue: Modi
- Congress backs Priyanka Gandhi as she hits out at opposition for 'targeting Robert Vadra without proof'
- CJI bars advocate's entry in SC for 6 months for sexual harrassment
- April 22 Campaign roundup: Modi hurls a 'khooni panja' at Cong, says its responsible for 1100 lives in Telangana
- IPL 7: It's that man Glenn Maxwell again
Tension prevailed in Hyderabad and other districts on Wednesday after a court in Nirmal in Adilabad district sent MIM MLA Akbaruddin Owaisi to 14 days in judicial custody in connection with a hate speech case.
Nirmal Police, which booked the first case against Owaisi for his incendiary speech, has sought seven-day custody and slapped additional charges of sedition and criminal conspiracy against him. Earlier, MIM supporters attacked mediapersons and their vehicles in Nirmal when Owaisi was being produced in court.
Owaisi, who was arrested from Hyderabad and taken to Nirmal Tuesday evening, was questioned by the police before being produced in court. "After inquiry and on gathering more evidence we have added IPC section 120-B (criminal conspiracy), 124 A (sedition), 188 (disobedience to order duly promulgated by public servant)," DIG Karimnagar Range R B Naik said.
Owaisi had delivered the controversial speech in Nirmal on December 24.
The MIM called for a shutdown in Nirmal and Nizamabad where cases were registered against Owaisi. Nirmal observed a partial shutdown Wednesday as people feared violence. In Hyderabad, shops and business establishment and many schools remained closed.