Self-driving cars are here
- Obama rules out putting US troops on ground to fight Islamic State
- Heavy rainfall floods Tamil Nadu, rail, road services badly hit; 71 killed so far
- Azam Khan's remarks on Paris attacks spark row, BJP demands action
- French officials identify Belgian national as suspected mastermind
- Awards recognition of talent, they should be cherished: Prez
Lexus showcased a technology that was considered science fiction till recently. Self-driving car LS600HL features Toyota's Advanced Active Safety Research Vehicle technology. The technology has not yet reached a point where the car is fully self-driven. Lexus says its car aims to combine the precision of machines with the driver's ability to make judgements on the road. LS600HL can identify traffic signals and detect objects up to 150 metres away. The AASRV has a 360-degree Light Detection And Ranging laser, cameras, and GPS as its sensory organs.
Panasonic 4K tablet
4K resolution (four times HD) is the buzzword at CES 2013. After 4K TVs and cameras, a 4K tablet was spotted at the expo. Panasonic's tablet boasts of a 4K display. But it is a monstrous 20-inch device and it's a bit of a surprise that the company is calling it a tablet. The display is stunning, as expected, and the device is targeted at photographers, designers and architects. For this reason, the company has bundled a stylus with the tablet. It's not the most portable device, but it is much smaller than Lenovo's 27-inch Table PC.
Tactus Tactile Touchscreen
- Responses to Mumbai, Paris attacks were strikingly different. But India has learnt since
- Tipu Sultan: Revisionist overlook his bigotry, contemporaries saw nothing else
- True successors of Gandhi-Nehru
- Raja-Mandala: The final burial of non-alignment
- Modi in Britain: Beyond a reiteration of good intentions, little was achieved
- The government’s version of the uniform civil code must be debated publicly