Self-styled godman gets 7 years in jail for raping 20-year-old
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Supreme Court grants recognition to transgenders as third category of sex
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
- Unethical, betrayal: Prime Minister Manmohan Singhâs daughter voices family anger
- Modi equates Rahul with kids, says âtoffeeâ has caught his fancy after âballoonâ
A local court on Thursday sentenced a 45-year-old self-styled godman to seven years of imprisonment for raping a 20-year-old girl of Dadu Majra.
The court of Additional District and Sessions Judge S S Sahni also slapped a penalty of Rs 7,000 on the guilty.
"Sant" Rishi Ram, the self-proclaimed godman at Balmiki Rishi Ashram at Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, was arrested on May 16 on charge of rape following a complaint by the victim.
Around 20 years back, Rishi Ram was brought by the residents of PGIMER to live at a Balmiki temple as a caretaker.
According to the victim, she lives along with her two sisters and brother at Dadu Majra. She had a fight with her sister after which she left home and went to her friend's place. Her friend took her to Rishi Ram's ashram, saying he would solve all her problems and would also help her to get married.
After reaching the ashram, the friend left her there and came back. On the pretext of providing remedies to her problems, Rishi Ram asked her to serve at the temple and a few days later allegedly raped her. Following this, the victim ran away from the ashram. However, the accused allegedly started calling her and asking her to come again. He also threatened her.
On May 14, Rishi Ram went to the victim's residence and forced her to come along with him. In the scuffle, the victim called the police control room, but the accused fled.
The victim filed a complaint stating that the accused had raped her thrice when she was at the ashram. Since then, the accused had been harassing her. A case was registered against Rishi Ram on May 15, 2013 under Section 376 (punishment of rape) and Section 506 ( punishment for criminal intimidation) for which he was awarded two years of imprisonment. Charges against him were framed on August 2.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties